27.4.08

xxxHolic Might Be Exactly What I Am..

I've confessed to being more than a little prone to crushing on fictional boys (and men) in the past, but imaginary girl crushes are a lot rarer for me. But I do owe whoever first tipped me off to Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle and xxxHolic, since I've developed a bit of a case of hero-worship over the years on Yuko-san, the Witch of Dimensions and the mentor of the latter series' protagonist. To sum her up in a sentence, the woman is extremely fond of food, even fonder of alcohol than she is of food, possibly fonder still of annoying Watanuki, and immensely powerful. Also rather wise...and I really just wanted an excuse to post lots of Clamp's beautiful artwork (xxxHolic, on the whole, is a lot more ornate and flourish-laden than Tsubasa- though the latter does a brilliant job with depicting battles)- I've never failed to love the insanely detailed covers and chapter pictures of the manga, and all that long, whirling ribbon-like black hair does make for some stunning pictures . I reckon it's worth sharing a few of those, for anyone who doesn't already know and love her (though being in the little Blogger box doesn't do them justice, look below- she's positively spectacular).




13 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love anime and manga. Magic Knights Rayearth are all my girl crushes. And I'm still in love with the Gundam Wing boyz.

mimi said...

I love Clamp artwork. My lil sis is more of a manga freak than I though... must nag her for a copy of this!

Anonymous said...

is that only manga or there is anime on the series as well? She looks like a really cool character. Like a cool cat! (:

Meg said...

Your love for anime increase my love for your blog - I've yet to have a girl crush on a female anime character but there have been a few guy shaped ones (hah! I'm actually writing this on the web for all to see).
The pictures crazily remind of Erte. The detail and styling especially. Maybe I'm just losing it.

Charlotte said...

Great illustrations!

Blue Floppy Hat said...

The Clothes Horse: I don't know if you've read Tsubasa, it's got the odd character from there(though not Hikaru and Co.)..I love crossovers!
Headmistress: yeah, Clamp are brilliant, really- I discovered them via Cardcaptor Sakura, which I still love...and you should read this, methinks.
Stephie: There's an anime of the series too, but I haven't seen much of that- I personally think Yuuko-san is cooler on the page :)And yes, she's an immensely cool cat!
Meg: I'm hardly a major manga nut, but I've had my soft spot for the odd boy from there too.
I didn't know who Erte was, so thanks for leading me to his work- and you're not losing it at all, there do seem to be similarities between the styles of the manga cover art and his drawings (rather Twenties, Poiret-like). I wouldn't put it past Clamp to have been inspired by him or someone who drew in a similar style, either.
Charlotte: glad you like them!

Anonymous said...

Definitely Erte-esque.... and definitely girl crushable...

Elizabeth said...

I like the linear quality of these drawings. Agreed that they are Erte-esque.

Anonymous said...

I love this manga ! The witch has incredible dresses !!^^

Anonymous said...

wow the manga drawing look similar to Albert Beardsley illustration (19th century)

K

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Susie and ENC: I'm glad someone agrees with me..
Scherazade: Yay, I found another xxxHolic fan! And she does have incredible clothes...
The Fashion Assistant: yeah, the lines do have a slight Art Nouveau feel in places, but as I said, I wouldn't put it past CLAMP to have used those illustrations as an influence.

Yuuko Emeraude Taylor Clow said...

Hi I am also sort of hipnotised by the character *-* I have a blog attempting at fanfics about Yuuko/Clow & others I would be happy if you feel like visiting it is http://tirnanogyuukoeng.blogspot.com mata ne!

Yuuko Emeraude Taylor Clow said...

Hi I am also sort of hipnotised by the character *-* I have a blog attempting at fanfics about Yuuko/Clow & others I would be happy if you feel like visiting it is http://tirnanogyuukoeng.blogspot.com mata ne!

About Me

My photo
Fondest of upbeat music and brightly coloured sweets.