18.4.08

Fashion Week Musings, mk. II

I know I'm far, far too lazy about these things, (the pictures have sat in draft form for weeks!), but I reckon I'll continue...
2. Kiran Uttam Ghosh




She's also based out of Calcutta (I don't really have a bias for designers from my hometown, I promise! It's just that their work really does look better to me), and the collection is flowy and happy, and well and truly relaxed. It's hard to tell at this distance, but I'm really grateful for the fact that there doesn't seem to be a bling OD on her clothes (and, going by past experiences of seeing them up close, there won't be- she never succumbed to the lure of the Swarovski crystal*, thank goodness). It's also good to have a gentle reminder that for India, 'colour' doesn't necessarily have to look potentially toxic- I love the tone-on-tone blues of the top two pics, and (as in the case of Sabyasachi), the styling was pretty decent (though I'm not such a fan of the hats- two sizes bigger and they might have looked right). And the scarf on the last outfit is what really makes the whole thing, IMHO.
3. Vineet Bahl

The sari in the picture above is what really makes me wish there were more pictures of this collection online. Attempting to defy that old chestnut about 'colourful' Indian traditional clothes is nothing short of brave, really, and even more stunning considering he's managed to make it look just as it should (and not like it belongs in a Bollywood movie, thank heavens). Though I still don't understand the empire-line (?) kurta dresses (not shown here- there are pics at bharattextiles.com), I still very badly want a look at what the second model on the left in picture 1 was wearing...and the graphic effects on the brown dress are really rather cool.
* favourite embellishment of Indian fashion designers. Personally, I can't stand 'em.
Pictures from the International Herald Tribune and bollywoodblog.com.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

These are beautiful, and again, thank you for posting. I have so much to learn about fashion from India.

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Truthfully, a lot of it is stuff I can't relate to but there's still potential..

Nicole Then said...

OMG the sari is so stunning!!!! wow!

yumiko said...

oh, these are beautiful
esp.the second and last one

About Me

My photo
Fondest of upbeat music and brightly coloured sweets.