15.4.08

I Eight This

Lovely Dottie and Stephie over at Fashion Nation have tagged me, and so I must answer...I can't really tag other people right now, though, since I'm rather short on Internet time so I guess I'll edit the post and do it tomorrow..so read on, if you wish.
8 Things BFH is Passionate About
1. Reading. Books, magazines, comics, blogs, you name it I'll read it, I'm the next thing to a junkie bibliophile (and to those, I'd strongly recommend Ex Libris, by Anne Fadiman). Especially old ones- as long as it's got all its text and all its pages together, I'll read it- though I must confess to being fussy about what the covers look like (I don't really care much about what condition they're in, though..)
2. Fashion. I suppose that's rather self-evident, what with having a blog about it and all...or maybe, I should say style, because what a person picks to wear, and how they wear it, can be such a powerful statement of personal choice, especially in context...
3. Food (my motto should really be 'I'll eat anything that isn't alive, and wasn't too slimy when it was alive)...though for some reason, I don't like things with too strong a flavour of coconut.
4. Staring out of windows. When there are windows to stare out of, that is, and more so when I'm inside a bus or some mode of transport.
5. Travelling. I haven't done all that much of it, really, and I prefer to avoid outdoorsy trips when I can, but taking off by myself is something I do rather well...
6. Smells. I'm probably an idiot for doing things like refusing to wear moisturiser because I don't like the way it smells, but that's just one example of the olfactory lunacy I'm capable of...
7. The idea of being independent some day (hopefully, not too far in the future...blasted professional degrees!)
8. Art (though this is going to sound idiotic coming from me)...I lack the talent to even draw a straight line, but can't help but admire people who do have it in them.
8 Things BFH Wants To Do Before She Dies
1. Travel. And there are too many places I want to go, really- Istanbul, London, Vienna, Taipei, Tokyo, Paris, Cairo, Copenhagen, Seoul, close enough to either Pole to see the Aurora Borealis (an ambition I share with Stephie)...too long a list, really. I'd also want to shop and watch the streetstyle in those places...chuck the touristy stuff!
2. Learn (in some cases, re-learn) to speak (and read) the following with a fair degree of fluency: French, Japanese, Spanish, Russian, and Korean. It's bound to help with the travelling, if nothing else..
3. Write something that I won't want to throw in the bin as soon as I see it on paper.
4. Actually watch one of the shows in Paris. I don't give a damn just where in the room I'm placed, as long as the clothes are visible..
5. Live someplace where I don't know a single person (that's most of the travel wishlist, really) for at least two years.
6. Meet other fash bloggers, someday. Esp. the ones located in Asia, if y'all don't think it's too creepy.
7. Grow my hair back to hip-length, which was how long it was till I was thirteen. It's inching its way towards my waist now, I'm just wondering how long it'll be before my stupid layers start growing out...
8. Meet even one of the people I've hero-worshipped for years, in person. And maybe manage not to faint while doing the same..
8 Things BFH Says Often
1. 'Damn!'
2. 'What time do we have to wake up tomorrow?'
3. 'Where's the other sock?'
4. 'Yes, C___' (name left blank to preserve C's privacy)
5. 'Yes, I will wear that.' (to The Mothership)
6. 'Where did I put my pen?'
7. 'Ok, ok, I've got to go now..'
8. 'Wait. Where's my phone?'
8 Books BFH Has Read Lately (more like re-read a billion times really)
1. I Capture The Castle- Dodie Smith
2. Sputnik Sweetheart- Haruki Murakami
3. xxxHolic, Volume 13- CLAMP
4. Toast- Nigel Slater
5. The Virgin Suicides- Jeffrey Eugenides
6. Claudine and Annie- Colette
7. Mike and Psmith- P.G. Wodehouse
8. Clouds of Witness- Dorothy L. Sayers
8 Songs BFH Can Listen To Over and Over
1. Alone In Kyoto- Air
2. Bonnie and Clyde- Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot
3. The William Tell Overture- Rossini
4. J'y Suis Jamais Alle- Yann Tiersen, OST- Amélie
5. Ready To Go- Republica
6. Stupid Girl- Garbage
7. Married with Children- Oasis
8. For Fruits Basket- Ritsuko Okazaki
8 Things That Attract BFH to Her Best Friends (yeesh this is going to be embarrassing if they come along)
1. They like books, too. And they don't think it's weird to like books as much as I do.
2. They know when I need to be left alone, and don't hold it against me that it's necessary in the first place.
3. Silences are never uncomfortable around them.
4. I'd trust them with literally anything, and know that it won't be blabbed out.
5. They tease me like no one's business, and it's actually fun.
6. They can give me silly nicknames, and they're the only people in the world who are allowed to address me by those nicknames.
7. I can bring up something I really like, pretending that it's something off-hand, and they'll turn out to like it too.
8. They're actually the coolest people on earth.
EDIT: I now tag....Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere, Yumiko of Trials and Tribulations, Headmistress of Salt and Schizophrenia, Evie of I Need More Drama, and Diana of Hot Chocolate and Mint.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great that you've done it in record time, and I love the Virgin Suicides!

Would love to meet up, it definitely is not creepy at all!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

When you do get around to tagging people, I would be honored to link back to your page. If you get a chance, please take a look at my site, http://cupcakesandcashmere.com

Thank you!
Emily

Elizabeth said...

There are lots of things on this list I'd like to do. Attend a Paris show is one of them. I don't care if I have to sit on a card chair in the back room.

mimi said...

I'm nodding along with lots on your list - that particular Amelie track - I was so obsessed with when I first heard the soundtrack! Still so beautiful. The staring out of windows - one of the things I hate about driving is that I can't gaze at the landscapes breezing past - I miss the observations of a passenger so much. And hair - ah, god, I lopped off my ass-length hair when I was 14 in an act of teen rebellion, though I've only recently started growing it back... still a foot or so to go though! If I have the patience.

Perakath said...

You're too cute, you.

riz said...

Ahhh the notorious - "Where's the Other Sock!" Can't beat that!

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Stephie: Oh I love The Virgin Suicides, both book and movie..and if I'm ever in Singapore, I'll definitely look you up! Glad to see you don't think it's creepy...
Emily: I've tagged you, thanks :)
ENC: I wouldn't mind standing room either, just as long as I see the clothes! It'd be enough of a thrill for me..
Headmistress: I know, it's been over six years since I first heard it, and I'm still in love with it! But most of my most-listened list is stuff that dates back several years..I now realise not one song out of that lot came out after 2004!
As for hair, I reckon teenaged loppings-off were in order...I remember the old mane very well, and it was a monster to maintain. Thankfully my hair's not as thick now, hopefully I'll have it easier.
Perakath: if you say so..
Riz: I think the only days in my life when I don't say it are days when I don't wear socks- and there don't seem to be too many of those..

Romeika said...

"4. Staring out of windows. When there are windows to stare out of, that is, and more so when I'm inside a bus or some mode of transport. "

I remember you said that when I wrote a post about one of the Sofia Coppola's trademarks, the girl looking through the glass:-) Very interesting list!

Anonymous said...

Well...basically your list has made me keen to organise some sort of Asia (Pacific included...) blogger mash up night....

MASALA CHAI said...

I love sputnik sweetheart so much.
& the amelie soundtrack.

LDF said...

I too will eat anything but sometimes the thought of Baba Ghanoush makes me want to barf. It's like the only thing I won't eat.

Meg said...

I'm seriously chuffed that Sputnik Sweetheart made it to your list, I love Haruki Murakami but don't know that many people that read him. And I'm obsessed with only two very English things; P.G.Wodehouse, and Stephen Fry.

I'm also listening to Bonnie and Clyde right now, and quite creeped out that it suddenly appeared on your list.

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Romeika: I think it's precisely because of that tendency of mine that I can identify so much with that hallmark of Sofia Coppola..though it doesn't make for much conversation in a car!
Susie: There aren't very many fashion bloggers in Asia, as far as I can tell...but yeah, the blogger mashup night is an idea I love!
Masala Chai: They're both long-standing favourites of mine too :)
The Iron Chic: I didn't know what Baba Ghanoush was, sounds interesting. But then I reckon everyone has things they won't eat..
Meg: Really? Murakami's quite popular here, going by the number of people I know who read his books. And PG Wodehouse is, I think, some kind of staple of school libraries in India.
And the Bonnie and Clyde thing is funny, too.

ineedmoredrama said...

meeting the other fashion bloggers isn't creepy at all. i've often wondered what it'd be like and i used to think it would be creepy as well to even suggest it. till you said it!

sol said...

You're so lucky that you're actually getting to start off on that things-to-do-before-I-die list. Many people never do. I'm almost envious! Quelle langue as-tu choisie?

About Me

My photo
Fondest of upbeat music and brightly coloured sweets.