23.3.08

Happy Feet

...in painted shoes, that is. The only paint experiment I've witnessed in recent years was done by a classmate who painted her white Bata keds orange and then painted random words all over that in black (the finishing touch was the name of her ex-boyfriend on the sole of the right- or was it left?- shoe, for the express purpose of being stomped on). That was rather cool, and two years later the shoes still look awesome, but paint-splattered shoes in general (despite the fun potential of making and wearing them), are a mildly troublesome concept in places as dusty as the ones we live in, so finding Mathieu Missiaen, an actual shoe painter on Etsy, is more than a little interesting- his work reminds me more of graffiti than paint splatters, plus the shoes would probably never get boring. They're also astonishingly neatly done, and even if the dollar-to-rupee conversion makes the shoe-customising service sound like a silly idea for me ($200 if you send him your shoes), it's still quite something. Also, I like feeding my fun-shoe fetish- for that, if nothing else, the shop is well worth a look.
images from the NDEUR shop on Etsy.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted about NDeur a while ago but haven't ordered a pair yet!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

That black and white pair is amazing. Etsy keeps getting better and better.

MASALA CHAI said...

Hey I actually read about someone who does that in Mumbai . She paints on canvas shoes , I haven't really seen any of her work though, except for the shoes on this page http://www.trendy.in/2008/02/14/mumbai-a-whole-new-canvas/

I checked out the etsy page, some gorgeous stuff there.

WendyB said...

Cute shoes.

mimi said...

oh wow, that's nice stuff! makes me remember my own attempts at shoe diy - I once glitterified some dm's and walking home in the rain one night from a gig, it all washed off slowly...

yumiko said...

the intricate little patterns and details look amazing---I've always wanted to do that kind of stuff,doodling on shoes but I've no idea where i could get the shoes to draw on

Dianna said...

great find! i used to paint my converse in middle school, but they looked nothing like this. these shoes are fabulous! walking works of art.

Elizabeth said...

The work is beautiful. It might be worth it once in your life . . . .

Elisabeth said...

Wow, the black & white pair are gorgeous.

Very cool unique shoes.

AlicePleasance said...

I posted too a little about him, his creations are great!

Sheryl W said...

Amazing! I love the colors on the second pair of shoes!

About Me

My photo
Fondest of upbeat music and brightly coloured sweets.