16.6.08

Dreamworlds Are Not Just Pretty Places

Aquarium (2005)A Demand 2 (2002)
Door (2007)
Tea Party (2006)
A Demand 1 (2002)
Garden Of Idea (2006)
The Time Of The Chrysanthemums (2003)
Reading In Afternoon (2003)
They Welcomed 1 (2006)
There's something about looking at Fuco Ueda's paintings that always gives me a feeling akin to listening to Air for hours on end- the dreamy detachment and extraordinary skin tones of the girls she paints, combined with their near-complete absorption in the frames they inhabit and a seeming disregard of onlookers no matter what those onlookers are witness to, make for a strangely compelling, provocative experience. She paints on canvas as well as cloth on wood using acrylic, shell powder and powdered mineral pigments, and her subjects are nearly always female, with plant and animal life rather prominently featured, though 'featured' is really the wrong word- they're much, much more than just background. And checking out more of her work, here, is highly recommended.
I could have sworn I'd done this post six months ago, but it's better late than never...though I deeply regret not doing it at least ten days ago- she had a show on till the 7th of this month at Roque La Rue Gallery in Seattle..
Symbiosis (2007)
all images from http://www.geocities.jp/uedafuco/.

10 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I LOVE these, thanks for posting them!
As for tattoos, my thoughts are shifting. Lately, I've been reading a lot about how it's more about how they look than necessarily meaning and such and it makes sense to me. Your body is canvas and you should be able to decorate it as you wish! So, if you love your tattoo that's awesome and they're unique to you. Plus, so many people don't have the courage to go under the needle at all!

Elizabeth said...

These are really lovely. Thanks for introducing me to the work.

riz said...

Ah yes, the skin tones...there is so much one could read into it, but it's just purely fantasy free from social representation...love!

Anonymous said...

These are so wonderful. Gorgeous and so detailed.

Blue Floppy Hat said...

The Clothes Horse: I'm absolutely with you on tattoos, and I'm glad you like the artwork :)
ENC: Like I said in the post, I could have sworn I'd posted this MUCH earlier..but I'm glad I've done it at last.
Riz: There's so much that can be read into everything about these, but I'm also happy to spend some time just looking, too..
Ambika: She actually had an exhibition in Seattle- I thought of you as I posted that, it would've been a wonderful opportunity to see her work in real life.

Meg said...

Tea Party makes me absurdly happy, and I can only admire Time of the Chrys. the blending of colours is sublime , I love the turqoise highlights. They're really something else.

the Constantly Dramatic One said...

I love, I love these artworks.

ineedmoredrama said...

these are gorgeous although was i the only one who was for some strange reason really nervous at the subject's complete disregard for onlookers in "reading in afternoon"?

The Spicers said...

LOVELY!

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Evie: I think all the paintings can be slightly discomfiting...I guess 'reading in afternoon' was more so because of the turtle eggs.

About Me

My photo
Fondest of upbeat music and brightly coloured sweets.