30.5.08

Bop!

I've never been a huge fan of the word- 'preppy'- to me it always meant 'crashing bore in chinos/loafers/a button-down shirt/all three', and I liked it even less when I was called that*. But preppy as per school-age Calcutta girls and preppy as per Merry Daily by Tokyo Bopper, my favourite style site of the last several months, are drastically different things, not least because the latter injects a giant dose of coolness into the very idea of what 'preppy' means. And I've had a whopping style crush on Yama (the girl in the pics above) the entire time- only the last time I posted about the site, I hadn't really figured out that the people in the pictures signed off with their names at the end of each post- along with a couple of lines about what they're wearing, which is incredibly handy to get the idea behind the outfit. But if there's anyone who could ever convince me that 'preppy' wasn't some boring template that people who don't know how to dress themselves use for days/years when they're not in school uniform, she's it- I've been watching the site for months now, and can't help but love the way she mixes blazers, ties, hats, patterns, layers, skirt and pant lengths and volume, most often with hiking boots and always paying attention to little, cool details like bow ties, socks or the colour of shoelaces (that second outfit reminds me, my own post about voluminous trousers is long overdue). And the graphic backgrounds on the photographs are adorable, it's not often that I like commercially-run blogs (ones by corporations, stores etc), but I really do think Tokyo Bopper's amazing- it's more like a personal style record of the employees and occasional customer of the store. And I'd really love to visit the actual shop someday...hopefully while Yama, Osyama, Karie and Shima still work there.

*
though I admit to wearing an abundance of stripes, skirts and low-top Converse, with neat jackets/blazers to sharpen up the scruff (as seen in two posts on this very page). And I don't really have anything against chinos, loafers or button-down shirts!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pics make me almost want to change my style completely and don myself in cute preppy gear...and then i look away from the screen and remember that it would be impossible...

Elizabeth said...

This is the best way to make preppy work, I think; with a sense of irony. It's brilliant, and the shoes are fantastic.

The Spicers said...

These are great! Love it.

Anonymous said...

she has such great style. I love how she makes these looks so easy and natural to wear. Though it something that i'd never be able to wear, I still love the stripes and the blazers. I particularly love the layered large-checked in the last photo. plus the red shoes are an unexpected lovely touch!

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Oh I LOVE it!

WendyB said...

These pix are adorable.

Miss Cavendish said...

I'm loving the jodphur shorts!

mimi said...

lovelovelove... I am very tempted to go on an all-preppy phase right now... I'm obsessed with things that are really comfy right now and this seems perfect. and I second the jodphur short love! wow... if only my hips would allow them.

Anonymous said...

how fun! i love how preppy is suddenly cool, thanks in part to gossip girl, where the girls make it look so chic.

Anonymous said...

so cool! makes me smile a goofy smile!

Diana said...

I love it, the backgrounds on the pics are super cute.

machiavelie said...

Like a real life anime character - cute!

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Susie: who says you can't wear preppy? As I recall, you worked the uniform look amazingly...

ENC: I don't think it's irony, so much as a lack of baggage and connotations attached to what wearing clothes of that kind usually means. And the end result looks great..

Iheartfashion: Glad you like 'em!

Steph: I've been in love with their style for quite some time now, and the way they wear things never ceases to delight me- but I don't think any of it is particularly unwearable. And the shoes are part of the reason I want to visit that store some day..

Rollergirl: You'll probably like the blog even more, it's brilliant.

Wendy: I know, aren't they ?

Miss Cavendish: I picked that photograph to put on here cause I loved them too!

Headmistress: If they're comfy, then why not the jodhpur shorts? I can imagine they'd be comfier than full-length jodhpurs, any day..

Cupcakes and Cashmere: Truthfully, I've never been much of a Gossip Girl wardrobe fan- it's a little too 'preppy on crack' for me. But I love me something sharp..

Naomi: That's more or less the same effect it has on me too!

Diana: the backgrounds are cute, all right..

Anais: I think the pixie hair might have something to do with that, but yes, Yama is cute. Very cute. In fact, all the staff are.

Anonymous said...

Looking awesome!! I like those red high top shoes most.

Anonymous said...

I am reminded bizarrely of Bannanas in Pajaymas. But I appreciate stripes!

Anonymous said...

look like a damn fool..just being honest :(

Blue Floppy Hat said...

Anon: I'm not sure if it's the girl in the pictures or me you're referring to, but if it's the former, I must disagree- I think she looks fantastic. Though honesty is appreciated, of course.

Bernadette said...

Yama has always been my favourite too!

About Me

My photo
Fondest of upbeat music and brightly coloured sweets.